Saturday 16 July 2011

Saturday bake

Saturday bake by flimbag


Been baking again today.

Started mixing my leaven at about 5.30:



And created my dough at around 11.30, ready for a long overnight prove in the fridge.



Formed my loaves about 9.00am this morning:



And got them into the oven about 1.30 and 2.00 respectively.

They came out looking pretty well. Here's the first -- a boule:



Note the nice blistered crust -- a product of the long, overnight ferment:



Second was a batard, with a most impressive grigne:



All in all, a good day's work. I suspect the boule might be slightly underdone -- I'm trying to go for a lighter, crispier crust, so I'm turning down the heat to about 210 in my convection oven after 10 - 15 mins or so.

That said, both of them look great, both hit a dough temp of about 99C before I took them out of the oven.

But the proof will be in the eating. I'll upload some pictures of the crust after they've cooled.

Not expecting a very holey crumb with either of these, as the dough was a fairly low hydration effort. Expecting great sour though, because I could smell it as the dough was proofing.

Expect both to be yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment